Oral HygieneGhosh Orthodontics
It is imperative that proper oral hygiene be maintained during any orthodontic treatment. Here are some guidelines for keeping your mouth healthy:
- Use the Interdental Brush (Proxy Brush) before brushing your teeth.
- Use the Proxy Brush to push the food out from between the wires and brackets.
- Always push the food away from the gum line.
- Use a soft toothbrush with only with a small amount of toothpaste.
- Use a circular motion around the gum line 10 seconds for each tooth.
- Slowly brush each arch separately. It should not be less than 1 minute for each arch.
- Brush the lower teeth up and the upper teeth down.
- Brush your tongue and the roof of your mouth, lots of germs can hide there.
- Be sure to angle your toothbrush between brackets and gums.
- Carefully pull the floss between the wire and the braces, using a floss threader or super floss.
- Floss carefully around each tooth and the gum area doing one section at a time.
- After brushing and flossing rinse with water or antiseptic dental rinse.
- Use one to two times a day.
- If the rinse is too strong, you may want to mix the rinse with water, using two equal parts.
The retainer must be kept clean. Brush retainer with antibacterial liquid hand soap using cold water. Never use hot water or alcohol on the retainer. This can distort the retainer and cause it not to fit properly. When not wearing retainer, it should be stored in its case.